Thursday, January 19, 2012

Patience: Growing Virtue While Shrinking The Waist Line

"Patience is a virtue" - (author unknown)
In these times, we all want things instantly, as I work with others, I see this as a constant. There are many people who have become a success and most of the time that success did not come from an overnight, flighty whim.  Success comes from "established determination", the never ending drive to see something through to the very end. If I share my weight loss story with others who want to do the same, the VERY first thing I hear from them is "How long did it take you to lose the weight?" Time spent in something is always analyzed in a person's mind  more than anything else. As time has passed, I have become bolder in my answers, one example is answering their question with my own, "If I told you it took four years to shed the initial extra weight and it takes a lifetime to maintain it and that I still set small goals even now, would you run the other way in fear?" Maybe in that moment they would say no but there is a high chance that they would eventually. You may think I am being quite negative in that statement, but it is just reality. The reason of that is because most of us are programmed to do everything quickly and without much thought. We do this in the morning to rush to work, we do it while at work because we are usually on a deadline and our job security depends on it, we do it in our evening activities, time spent with our kids, and time spent to shop, run our households, etc. We are rushed and expect the same in our weight goals too. Have you noticed the rise in weight loss surgeries? Sometimes these surgeries are medically necessary but most of the time it's the quicker, faster, and easier way to get the results we desire. What happens most of the time with these patients? The weight COMES back on! BECAUSE they rush the process, get to the "oh I look great" phase and then have absolutely no idea how to maintain it. With natural weight loss over time the fact is that it is slower, more gradual, and takes a lot longer to get the desired look you want to achieve. All the while through that process, what can happen is a new found patience that grows along with a new emotional maturity and a renewed sense of worth. You learn about your body, what it needs, and what it doesn't need. How much it can take and what it will not be able to do. You learn because you have taken the time to do so. I know what to do, how to maintain and keep my weight down, it is not always easy but it is skills I have acquired over time. I continue to live healthy every day, not just some days, but every day. Does that mean I always eat correct, exact portions and never stray off my life plan? No, but my frame of mind never strays from what I know as truth when it comes to my lifestyle. I have been to the other side and brought myself back. It has been done and continues to be accomplished by much more patience and a lot less fries on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment