Saturday, March 5, 2011

How's the Diet Going? It's Going Healthy...

Another question I am frequently asked, "How's the diet going?" "It's going well", I say. It's always going well, not because I eat diet food, it’s because I eat healthy. I do not have any problems with diet plans, diet pills in moderation, or weight loss surgeries. All those things are fine, I do not judge a person's methods for trying to control their weight, I just know what has worked and continue to works for me. I do not eat special diet food, nor have I ever followed a diet plan, such as weight watchers, etc. I do very few things to alter my diet, being a former diabetic of course; I continue to always stay with carbohydrate controlled meals and snacks. I do not leave carbs completely out of the equation; I simply choose the right types of complex carbs. Examples of complex carbs are whole grain bread, fruits, beans, some vegetables, and brown rice. Beans, by the way, are also a good source of protein as well.
    Over the years, I have eliminated high fat meats; I do not eat pork, except the occasional cold cut sandwich. I rarely eat red meats, with the exception of a nice dinner out or my mother's cooking (ha-ha). I get protein from beans (as listed above), eggs, nuts, fish, and poultry. I choose "healthy" foods, in controlled portions; I never skip meals or snacks. Most people assume I have practically starved myself to lose the weight I have lost. No, our bodies are designed to move, to burn excess calories, to use vitamins and minerals, if we treat them correctly. Once we achieve a certain amount of habitual fitness and make healthier choices in what we eat, our bodies become like a well oiled machine, becoming stronger and more efficient and excess weight will cease to exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment