Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Over Doing It: The Biggest Motivation Killer of all Time

I have done this so many times in the past: Ready for a change, to the lose weight. "I will walk everyday if I have to, and I will eat nothing but fruit and vegetables". "I will starve myself by skipping breakfast and lunch". "I will join the gym and make myself go every single day". I would do just that, for about one week, I would be sore and sick of eating nothing my body was craving. Then, I would go eat a whole pizza and forget the whole thing.  I was back to trying to rationalize my lack of motivation, or so I thought, never figuring out that I was taking on a major change and that it was overwhelming my mind and my body.

  I have always been a gradual change person, let's face it, sudden change hurts in any sort of fashion whether it’s losing a loved one or losing a job. Life in general is complicated enough and full of things that are difficult to deal with or even face sometimes. Why in the world would we want to put something else on ourselves? A sudden diet change and then adding an exercise routine designed for a triathlete, all at once? This is really when the motivation dies and those workout clothes go back in the closet. I tell anyone I meet, and anyone I train, give yourself 2 to 4 weeks to adjust to a few changes in your life, you will see and feel the difference, and will be ready for more. Begin a cardio routine, 30 minutes of walking for example, for at least 3 days a week. Also, begin a weight lifting routine, 15 to 20 min, as many times a week. Make sure to stretch before and after your exercise routine.  A beginner’s workout should never be no more than an hour a day, even if you feel like doing more. Your body is now allowed to build up the stamina it needs to support your new lifestyle.

 Drink plenty of water, avoid soda and sugary drinks.  A diet rich in fruits, vegetables, lean meats is always a good choice, but don't beat yourself up if you stray. We all stray at some point or another; the crucial thing to remember is you can continue your health plan in the next meal. Better to cure the craving in a small portion right then, than to let it continue, haunt you and turn into something you will regret because you lost control. 

 Please remember we all have to learn to crawl before we walk. A lifestyle change is probably something you have tried before, and then probably failed at; the difference between success and failure is always in the approach.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment